In an effort to invigorate my students, I have started to inject pop culture into my lectures. It started with a Jonathan Coulton song about an I.T. guy's day at work (warning... one G.D. in the lyrics). Honestly, it was a funny way of demonstrating the principal-agent problem of information asymmetry with little oversight ability in organizations. Now, after a few more, I have found that I really dig it. Tonight while prepping a lecture on the normal distribution, I wanted to demonstrate how an 'A' grade would be special (a.k.a. low probability event) if grades were distributed normally. On the slide, I wrote "[devilish laugh]" as a segway to the next slide. All of a sudden, I am searching Youtube to find the pop reference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thank you for that. I LOVE StrongBad. So much.
I can't believe it, since your not around anymore I almost forgot about strong bad. Thanks for bringing him back into my life.
you are not showing this to your students. watch out- taylor may transfer, just to be in your classes.
I agree, doctor J. one of my teachers shows simpsons and monte python to help us understand.
Post a Comment