Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The men who make my bow tie come off

Part 1
In every class that I teach, I am going to talk about Arrow's theorem. It is the most wonderful and disturbing thing to throw at students. It essentially states that when more than two choices exist, there is no method of aggregating the preferences of people into a coherent outcome that doesn't violate a principle of democratic fairness. So I came to that point in my comparative class this week.

Part 2
I always wear a bow tie. That isn't completely true because I have probably missed 3 school days since the start of the term. Either I wasn't feeling myself, or I had to wear a regular neck tie for a more formal event. But on the whole, I have worn a bow tie for 6 weeks of class. In my class presentations I always try to find pictures of people with bow ties if I need pictures. These people include Winston Churchill, Karl Polanyi, and other important figures. When an important person doesn't wear a bow tie, I usually make a note on the slide.

Part 3
So we got to Arrow's theorem and I put pictures of Kenneth Arrow and Richard McKelvey on the first slide. I tried long and hard to find pictures of them in bow ties to no avail. So in honor of their achievements, I took off my bow tie at the beginning of class. My students almost gasped that I had that much repect for their achievements. It was fun to watch all of their faces as the tie came apart. I am unsure if it was that I had such respect for these people, or a realization that I tie my bow ties.

Conclusion
Yes these men make my bow ties come off. And yes, I tie my own bow ties.

3 comments:

Mofra said...

awesome...
My lover makes my bow ties come off.
Sucks to be you.

JT said...

Hurray for when the bow ties come off!!

Brandon T. Minster said...

I thought Arrow said all you can say is that, if a person choses A over B, then the person should always favor A whenever A and B are both available. Right? Let me check. [wikipedia opening] I see Arrow had much more to say than I remember. In my defense, though, I was doing poorly so I dropped the class and have to take it again this fall. Let's hear it for doing poorly and dropping! Huzzah huzzah!