Friday, February 29, 2008

B.M.

Part 1.
A long time ago, when my mother was potty training me, she couldn't bring herself to say defecate or poop. When that had to happen, she would say "Dr. Bowtie (name omitted to protect the innocent), do you have to B.M (have a bowel movement)?" I think that it made her feel better, but really it just made others wonder what B.M. stood for.

Part 2.
Today, I thought I should post something in honor of leap day. I found a good friend just before we moved from Kansas. We had a passover dinner with our families. His wife and my wife even liked each other. The best and most important part is that he taught me how to tie a bow tie. In fact, he gave me my first bow tie. I thought that I would write a post in honor of him because without this new skill that he gave me 1) I would be left without such a handsome wardrobe (costume / gimmick) for my classes and 2) this blog would have some really bad name like the "ex-miner consultant goes to campus, for the third time." As I began to write my tribute to the man who gave me my first bow tie, I couldn't figure out how to identify him. I could use his blogging name, his comment name, one of his tags 'Turd Ferguson', the name I gave him when I linked his blog (the intellectual) to mine, or some other identifier like his initials.

Part 3.
Thank you B.M. for all that you have done for me.

2 comments:

Alison B said...

you are so weird. quirky I guess is the better word. I love it.

Brandon T. Minster said...

You rat bastard. (Can I say that on your blog? Bastard?) I came to your blog today to steal your URL so I could link to you from my blog (as it is now, every time I want to read your blog I have to click on your comment, then go to your profile, which is artificially inflating your profile-views-counter), and THIS is how you repay me!
My father, mother, both my brothers, and I all have first names that start with B, and yet for some reason, my parents STILL called it BMs. "I have to go BMs!" is a typical childhood quote of mine.
Because of this, I now have to use my middle initial in ALL settings, which makes me seem very pretentious when I sign up to clean the church as "[first name, middle initial, last name]."