Wednesday, February 27, 2008

How women are traded in Saudi Arabia

One of my assignments for class is to write weekly (sometimes weakly) thought pieces that incorporate concepts from the text in a country that the student chose at the beginning of the semester. One of my students wanted to write on Saudi Arabia. They have done well applying political concepts in a nepotistic monarchical state.

Today their assignment was about dominant problems in Saudi Arabia from the perspective of the west and from Saudis. It was a bright concept that he executed well. Unfortunately he misspelled one word which sent me into a laughing fit. He stated that one of the problems that Saudis see in the system is how women are traded. He repeated traded instead of treated in every instance. My favorite was this line "I didn't mean the way they are traded by society because they are already traded very well. I believe that they are traded better than American women are traded in the U.S.A."

I guess that the Saudi women trading system may be problematic.

3 comments:

Rachel Clare said...

Whatever is he talking about? I think I was traded fairly well, don't you?
He should get an A....or, I mean, "satisfactory". :)

JT said...

8 cows and a chicken

Brandon T. Minster said...

"How much for the little girl? How much for the women? Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters, sell them to me. Sell me your children!"
- Jake Blues