Saturday, July 19, 2008

I got over it... why can't he?

I am in need of a new quote about slander. Not gossip, but slander. In my mind, gossip is indifferent to the truth, whereas slander always takes the side of untruth. My favorite quote about slander was pilfered from a previous employer and I cannot find its true citation. (Why have a quote when you can't attribute it to anyone?) It goes "what Peter says about Paul says more about Peter than it does about Paul." It has been of great comfort lately and speaks volumes about slander. Most of all, I am simply disappointed. "Suffering by nature or chance never seems so painful as suffering inflicted on us by the arbitrary will of another." - Arthur Schopenhauer

[Postscript...] The other day, I did some legal research and found that may states have dispelled their slander law on the grounds that they violate free speech and are generally antiquated. Antiquated? Is that to say that a person's reputation shouldn't have to be protected by the law? I also found that such legal cases are difficult to adjudicate because slander and libel cases have extremely high hurdles to demonstrate harm. Two big wins for the liars of the world and a hurray for our legal system!

No comments: