Thursday, July 3, 2008

Evals (take 2)

As a part of my visiting position, L&C requires that I write a letter addressing my evaluations. Thankfully, I gave it a week before I had to look at them again. Today instead of looking at the written comments first, I went to the summary statistics. Why I didn't do that in the first place, I will probably never know. I won't repeat that mistake again.

Overall, I did better than I previously thought. [My detailed discussion follows. If you are not interested, skip to the next paragraph.] My mean was no more than one standard deviation from the department and division averages for all of the scores except two. Then by class, I found that one class scored me at the mean of the department and division, one class scored me slightly less, and the last class gave me some pretty bad scores (4 on a 7pt scale). The class with the bad evaluation scores was full of juniors and seniors, did worse on their exams than the other class, and were generally disrespectful. It was their written comments that stuck in my head the most from my last reading of the evaluations.

I think that good written comments are relatively rare and negative written comments are more prevalent. So I screwed myself by reading them first and passing over the summary stats.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that students are more willing to write down negative evals than positive ones. However, I try and give credit where credit is due. I once wrote on a eval that my prof "deserved a raise and an ice cream cone." lol.
On behalf of students everywhere, thank you for at least reading your evaluations. Don't get too down.

Unknown said...

p.s. that last one was from Jes.
I am checking Evan's email (to make sure he broke up with his girlfriend) and it pulled his Google Identity instead of mine.