Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Linux love

When I got my laptop about a year ago, I tried to make sure that it would be compatible with some Linux OS. I chose the Ubuntu flavor and gave it a go. After two failed installs, it finally worked. Shout out to Josh. It turns out that the install disc was corrupted. During this process, I heard many woeful tales of destroyed data that had not been properly backed up. I have tinkered and worked a little, but mostly I enjoy playing the games. The only unfortunate part about the install is that it failed to recognize my wireless card, and so I have to use an ethernet cable if I want to hit the net. Everything is intuitive except for the terminology. Point, click, play. Point, click, download updates. Point, click, create slideshows.

It has some distinct advantages over microsoft...
First, you get it for free. You do get what you pay for in support, it all comes from other users.
Second, it allows your machine to run as fast as it says it will (no behind the scenes stuff going on here).
Third, you look super cool to all of the 'in the know' people (i.e. Geek Squad underlings, programmers, almost anyone with pocket protectors)
Fourth, you get to be part of the open source movement, whatever that means.

Did I mention that I enjoy the games?

No comments: