Tuesday, August 5, 2008
First day
Monday I did my first trial run of the work commute. I clipped myself into my bike and away I rode. About 4 miles into the ride, I stopped at a red light and promptly fell over. It was my first time. I made it to the train station in time to buy the wrong ticket and board the train 2 seconds before the doors closed. I got corrected by the conductor for not securing my bike to the wall properly. From my stop, I followed a 6 year veteran bike commuter to the campus. I spent all day trying to get an ID, keys, and all of my paperwork filled out. When I got my keys, I opened my office to... a completely empty office. They said that the bookshelves and desk were on order and should come in soon. They also had to reorder my office computer because they got me the wrong kind. So I spent the rest of my first day sitting on the floor of my office prepping classes. Although it sounds bad, it was a wonderful day. All of my colleagues were happy to have me around (at least that is what they said), and I feel at home. Just before I was planning on going home, I stopped into the bookstore to check out their Mac supply. They had a clearance special on the 24" that made it less than the price of the 20", so I bought one. I got a free iPod touch. Because I was lugging this huge computer around, I had to ride the bus to the train station. Everyone was very helpful and wanted to hold the computer whenever I did anything (like put my bike on the front of the bus, or try to get my bike and boxes on the train). It all became a big joke to everyone on the train that I was so paranoid about losing my computer and bike. I called a friend to pick my up at the station so I didn't have to walk it all home. All in all, a super first day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad your first day was enjoyable for you, even though it all sounds like my own personal hell! Well, except for the part about getting a new ipod! :) I hope your commute gets better and better. Hang in there, JT.
It sounds like your first day was a great adventure. I can just visualize you with the bike, the big computer box, etc. :) Fun times. It sounds like you fared well. Congrats on the new computer and the new I-touch! I hope that you continue to enjoy your future adventures in CA!
We missed you at Mama and Papa's on Sunday. Darn! But, boy, was it fun talking about you. Just kidding. We didn't.
Love, Earlene
Yes we did!! ;)
You never told me about falling over at mile 4! That's hilarious! Did people honk?
I'm anxious to see you.
Post a Comment