Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Two worthless movies

I was treated to two movies in two days. I haven't seen two movies in a theater in years, let alone two days. It is a personal record. The first, Dark Knight (IMAX version), was interesting but left me in a funk. It was simply disturbing on many levels. The action was complete and the gratuitous violence plentiful. Although the plot line was generally credible, it seemed to be overly tight. For a self-proclaimed anarchist psychopath to have hatched such complex and diabolical plan seems unrealistic. There is no doubt about Heath Ledger's performance deserving accolades. The second, Hellboy II, can only be described as a Lord of the Rings-esque romantic, action, fantasy thriller that was full of puns, allusions, and 1960's themes. My brother-in-law feigned a snore during the 'get-drunk to soothe our girl troubles' scene, and guffawed during the delivery of most cheesy lines.

2 comments:

Rachel Clare said...

Um, glad I wasn't there.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the violence in Batman but was upset at the final version of the movie, given what the film makers had at their disposal, they could have come up with a real winner but fell quite short.

Greg