Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Whirlwind

Today I finished orientation. It was an informative but arduous process of learning how complex it is to be a new faculty member in one of the largest schools in California. The institutional research people even said that CSUF will likely surpass UCLA in enrollment (including part-time students) and all other CSU schools this term. So, an update is in order.

Move -> fast, furious, mostly painless, time consuming
New House -> clean, painted, full of boxes, and organized according to our desires. It is not finished, but the major projects (excepting the kitchen) are nearly completed.
New Courses -> nearly ready, but still no syllabi (that is next on my list)
New Commute -> about 1 hour 45 minutes on average. That entails around 11 bike miles and 40 train miles. I could likely do it fast in the car, but I can exercise before my commute (bike), work on the train, exercise before school, work all day, exercise after school, work on the train, and exercise before I get home. I should be fit, right?
New Colleagues -> unbelievably welcoming and warm. From what it appears on the surface, they are interested in retention in tenure, not expulsion.
New Office -> still no furniture, no computer, but a nice clean floor and a good view from the window. I think that if I stayed late enough, I could watch the fireworks at Disneyland from here.

4 comments:

mlt said...

Hi Just. Fun to keep up with your"adventures." Glad the folks there are a positive. And, the office sounds absolutely ZEN.
ML

The Rhiens said...

Who needs office furniture when you have a nice clean floor, right? I don't envy your commute, but you're right, you should be pretty fit in the end. Glad to hear that you guys are getting settled in. We are taking Julia to school next weekend and then we are off on a little trip for two and then hope to hit the kitchen remodeling project as soon as we get back.

Hope you're enjoying your time in So Cal.

Scott and Earlene

Rachel Clare said...

Wife-> Hot.

JT said...

Everyone knows that I have a hot wife