I have three sources of information that I use nearly everyday. First is KPCC. KPCC is the LA area's National Public Radio station. I should be a member, but really enjoy being a free-rider because it makes my inner homo-economicus proud. The second is really a set of media outlets (Reuters, AP, LATimes, FT.com, BBC News, etc.) with typical news stories that I connect to via my third source - the Drudge Report headlines. Each of these has different levels of depth to their stories. Sometimes all I really need to know is the Drudge headline. Other times, I want the complete multifaceted story. For example there was a little story on how the person who stole Einstein's brain helped our understanding of intelligence, but not in the way they envisioned.
Social networking has these same levels of depth. Blogging is like NPR - you get to see the inner workings of the author's mind. Facebook is like the traditional media outlets with a variety of status updates, notes, memos, links, likes, and friend networks. Twitter is the Drudge Report headlines of all social media. If you can't say it in less than 140 characters, you can't say it.
Facebook is killing blogging because it is so much easier to allow minimal intrusions into your life, but not so minimal as tweeting. Most often I find myself posting stories to facebook when I should really explain them here. For example, this story which is probably more pertinent to this blog than I want to admit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think the Internet has jumped the shark. I used to be able to spend hours online. Now I only have 15 minutes' worth of stuff to do online, and most days I don't even feel like doing them.
My theory: the normal people don't want to be associated with the self-absorbed drama queens, so when the drama queens get blogs and start updating their Facebook statii, the normal people back out and let the drama queens have the floor.
As for me, since I'm a drama queen, my blogging pace continues unabated.
Post a Comment