Monday, June 21, 2010

Vindication

Being able to regularly return to a place where you used to live is a wonderful experience.
Since returning to my wife's hometown for a brief vacation, we have met with family and friends (and family-friends). I had forgotten how nice it is to catch up on old gossip and funny circumstances.
Last night I had the pleasure of meeting with some of my former coworkers (and really good friends). Inevitably, the conversation drifted to how we all left the business for less dramatic pastures. As they told their stories, I felt less and less like I needed to apologize for the things that my former employer blamed me for*. I have been struggling with how to let him know that I have forgiven him and ask him for his forgiveness for whatever he blames me for. The struggle is that I truly believe my only error was to tell him the truth. Anyway, as we shared our stories, each of my friends had an analogous story to mine, and with one being strikingly similar. I now have 7 data points in support of my hypothesis. Here it is... after years of teaching master's degree seeking students, he has fallen into a pattern of enjoying the first year of training each new mind. As time progresses and the 'students' gain confidence and ability, they start becoming a problem for his ego. He is no longer the star, but an accessory to their self-motivation and work. By 18 months, he starts changing his mind about what he wants, who is in charge, and ultimately how business is done in the office. By two years, he wants them gone. Up until now this pattern has worked sufficiently well for his business because replacements came every season. His last hire is finally working for the salary he has been given for years and has out managed his employees - maybe it would be better to say he managed them out of employment. Now there are two bosses and two employees. Sweet business model, huh?

*Apparently even years after my departure, I am being blamed for computers not working (apparently I am a master hacker ), data disappearing, research not turning out properly, and the like.

1 comment:

JT said...

I should also note that I am grateful for the position at that company because it gave me a significant edge in getting my current job.

Oh, I should also note that on a personal level, I think that my old boss is a nice guy. He smiles, cracks jokes, tells stories, and is generally agreeable. He does his church work well and lives within the laws of the land.