Today we had a four hour long department faculty meeting. None of us got mad at each other and everyone now recognizes that we should all have chest pains about the University. I offered to head an adhoc committee to develop a long term division strategy to reduce our course load and meet future class demands.
BACKSTORY (feel free to skip)
The backstory to this is that when I started at CSUF, I was asked what I wanted to teach and when I wanted to teach it. They just asked everyone without systematic regard to student needs. If a person wanted to teach 4 sections of the same class, they could generally do that. Thus, some classes that are very important, haven't been offered in a while because no one wanted to teach them. More interestingly, we have always been able to hire part time faculty to glean the wasteland of our semester schedule. There were no gaps in the schedule, but there was also no method to the madness. Those times are all long gone.
RESUME STORY
We can either react to the whims of the Dean's office, or propose a way to get our division through the crisis and into the future. The latter is the only one in which logic plays a role, so I offered to guide* the logical process. My committe will try to demonstrate that we can balance the needs of the department and the college with an increased class size in a few classes and a reduction of teaching workload from 4 classes per semester to 3. As an added bonus, I hope to provide a student needs assessment that will result in a general schedule of classes to offer at regular times. If a professor wants a different schedule, they will always know what is coming up. If they want to teach the same 3 or 4 classes throughout their tenure at CSUF, they could do that. if they wanted to switch it up occasionally, they cold do that as well. At least there would be a framework to follow where there is none now.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't. I just have to listen to the committee members, crunch some numbers, get it to say what I want, and then sell it to the committee, the chair, and the college. They all want to hear it, so my pitch will only be difficult in that I have to have my numbers all right and the logic to be impartial.
[Evil laugh]
*see Plott and Levine 1977, Levine and Plott 1977, or Riker's 1986 "The Art of Political Manipulation."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awesome! I'm sure it'll go well.
Your evil laugh at the end reminded me of Pinky and The Brain. :)
Sounds like just up your alley. GO FOR IT !!!! Mom
Post a Comment