Monday, August 24, 2009

Bargaining for a relaxed semester pt. 2 or cont. (whichever you prefer)

This being the last official day of E.'s childhood (for he starts school tomorrow), we took the family to Disneyland. It was not as full as the normal summer crowd, but it was still hot and still full. It will be better in October or November. We rode lots of rides and stood in some lines. E was brave and rode Indiana Jones for the first time.

On our way home, I get a call from the Chair of the Division (PAJ).
Chair: "The Bowtie Prof, the Dean's office has agreed to the double overload, but there are some details. Are you near a computer?"
Me: "No, but I am on the freeway right near the school. Do I need to come in?"
Chair: "Yes. Right now."

So we turn around and head to the school. The short version is that I write a letter (email) that says I understand how my work is distributed this year. It is... four different classes and advising for environmental studies this semester. Next semester, I have to do advising for environmental studies. No classes next spring. The kicker is that this semester's classes are all on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I work about 13 hours each day and then don't have to go back to campus any other day. Now, because I have other work to do, I will go on Wednesdays and Fridays to grade and prep, but I don't have to. In fact part of the agreement with the Dean's office is that they cannot ask me to do service at all this year.

Maybe all of the bad feelings were necessary, according to the rules of Karma, so that I could have such a sweet deal. Either way, I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. The semester will be rough, but the payoff will be great.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Awesome! I'm so glad it worked out for you. I honestly believe that a teacher can endure almost anything for a semester. I think you'll get through it swimmingly! :)

Unknown said...

I think the bow tie makes all the difference. It can be quite influencial.