Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Go away grumpy Gus...

Yesterday was pretty rough between university budget and personal housing issues. My wonderful wife recognized my stress yesterday and took me out to dinner without the kids. (She either felt the stress, or maybe it was my complaining of chest pain that prompted her.) We talked quietly and thought about the future. It was nice.

I have decided that I can't do anything about what is going on, so I need to let it all go. All of the calculating, all of the strategizing, all of the overly analytical stuff that I do really well... I have to let it go.

I made cookies for my department to apologize for my bad attitude. I bought flowers for the PAJ office ladies and the Dean's office ladies. Life is much more difficult for those administrators than it is for me.*

My chest pain has subsided (mostly). I am working. Life is good.


*our Dean retired early due to health reasons. The interim Dean has tried very hard to make life bearable for the faculty during the budget ordeal, but the politics of the situation may have gotten the best of her. After one of her memos leaked to the press, the Vice President over Academic Affairs posted the position announcement to replace the Dean. A little slap in the face from above for her help to those of us below.

1 comment:

Rachel Clare said...

I love you. Glad your chest pain is (mostly) gone. Let's go get Pinkberry tonight.