I understand why there was some hesitation about me teaching this many classes. I keep missing appointments and meetings. I am falling behind on grading. I can't keep up with the class readings. I am sleep walking through one of my classes. I have had to drop my research almost completely. I sleep much less. I am always tired. I am feeling mediocre about teaching. Granted, I never work on Mondays, but I put in at least 50 hours of work each week. The bulk of those hours are from 6:30 am until 10:30 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
With the midterms over, the furlough week past, the baby due soon, and Thanksgiving coming quickly, I feel like I have senioritis. All of the breaks have shifted my routine and now I just want done. I am thinking of sacrificing my teaching evaluations for some peace in my life. A couple of late graded assignments, some mediocre lectures, some bad examples... not a big deal, right?
Maybe I'll just bribe them with candy before the evaluations are given.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Candy ALWAYS works. Oh, unless you teach at UC Irvine, apparently. In which case, as I understand, you need to take carrot and celery sticks. But at Fullerton, veggie trays would probably drop your evals even more.
I think most of an evaluation is based on "do I think this guy is going to give me a good grade?" and "is coming to class a waste of time?" As long as your lectures aren't time wasters and you've led them to believe you're going to be a push-over on the final grade, you should get good evaluations, right? By the time they find out they misread you on the push-over-ness, it'll be too late to take their evaluations back.
Post a Comment