Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Furlough update...

With classes half over, I am ready to be done. Last week was the most expensive stay-cation that I had no choice in taking. The furlough is technically 9 days per semester, but the president told us to take 4 of them last week. So, with a free week on my hands, I remodeled the guest bathroom. I ripped out everything except the tub, repainted, installed new floor tile, installed a new vanity, faucet, and light fixture, re-caulked the tub, and reset the old toilet. It should have only take two days, but I found a way to stretch it out to four.

Counting both the salary cut from the furlough and the remodel, the grand total cost of last week exceeded $7000. For that much money, I could have easily dropped the kids with a babysitter for the week and taken my lovely wife to Fiji, then Tahiti, and back.

Luckily, the school has found a way to supplement my income this year; I will teach an intersession class in January and a summer school class. At least I have a job, and a way to recoup the income losses from the furlough.

1 comment:

Rachel Clare said...

I think I might have actually traded the remodeled bathroom (though I love it, and thank you) for Fiji and Tahiti. Yes, yes, I think that sounds lovely.
Maybe next time.