Monday, May 18, 2009

Living in SoCal

When I was on my CSUF job interview, I asked my sister "what was the best thing about living in southern California?" She responded something to the effect that she could get whatever she wanted in a day. She said that it might take all day, and it might cost more than she wanted to pay, but she could get it in a day. The other day I finally tested that statement.

Not being one of convention, I have wanted a kilt for a number of years. Kilts have the benefit of not clinging to the inside of my huge thighs on extremely hot summer days, yet they retain their manliness through historical legacy.

Commencement provides a great excuse to purchase a kilt because it can be seen a more formal than functional. As I pondered purchasing a kilt, I googled kilt makers and found that a leading kilt maker, Sportkilt, was located just outside of Long Beach. They do not have retail stores, but they have a very small retail room at their facility. Rather than ordering something online and waiting a couple of days for it to arrive, I decided to visit the factory. I took E. to the location (a hole in the wall door in a industrial park) and walked right into the offices. They were surprised to see someone in person (they do all of their sales online) but quickly ushered me to their retail room (9'x10') and told me that everything in the room was 50% off of the internet price because they had all been custom ordered and later returned. I tried on a few, tried to discourage E. from wanting one, and then settled on two. Although my tartan is McNab, it is a more obscure tartan than Royal Stewart and Armstrong, which I purchased.

I am a believer that you can get whatever you want in a day in SoCal. My wife wishes that it weren't so, but it is. I am now the proud owner of two kilts which I will wear with pride... everywhere.

4 comments:

JRN said...

You rock!!! I can't believe I'm saying this but I need to see pictures.

Rachel Clare said...

heaven help me.

and no Jeremy- you really don't want to see pictures.

Kevin Montgomery said...

Pitcures...Pictures...Pictures!! lol!!

Lindsey said...

Yes, PICTURES PLEASE!! If your sweet photographer wife won't do it out of sheer principle, then set up a timer and get some anyway! (Sorry, Rach.)

I hope the whole "open and breezy" thing works for you, although they are traditionally made out of WOOL so that doesn't sound too cool for Summer. But whatever floats your boat.