Monday, April 20, 2009
Easy controversy
I have been pondering how to improve the educational experiences of my students. Inevitably, I revert to planning a class that has more discussion and less lecture. I could start each class with a controversial topic from the readings and then guide discussion. The problems is how you evaluate such a class. Essay exams and writing assignments are a time consumptive proposition for me, and it would be difficult to write exams for general consumption. To exacerbate the problem, students don't even have to think critically and independently with all of the available information on the internet. Take for example ProCon.org which is a clearing house for quotes and information on controversial issues. Now even contentious issues have a Cliffs Notes online edition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Justin. Good to catch up on your blog. You always have something interesting to say when I am surrounded by small children during the day and in need of a teeny bit of mental stimulation. And it's cool that Great Britain shows up on your sidebar now. (But stinks for me, because I can't really look at peoples' blogs without them knowing anymore.) No more blog stalking I guess.
Post a Comment