Saturday, June 28, 2008

Teaching Evaluations

When professors think that they are safe because the semester is over, the writing is getting done, and preparation for new classes is starting, the teaching evaluations arrive. It is just part of the mania of being in this profession.

These being my first and only from L&C, I must recognize that they are unimportant for my tenure, but valuable for guidance. Having said that, it is difficult to not be discouraged. I think that I did a reasonable job given what I knew, but obviously it was not enough to become super stellar prof-guy. What can I say, it was my first real gig outside of graduate school, and after 4 years of not having been in front of a classroom. Now I feel better.

I think that I know what went wrong. First, I tried to teach thematically rather than substantively. I have come to understand that students would rather have the details, than a method of putting it all together into a coherent way to view the world. Second, I taught at the worst times of the day. I had class at 9 am, 9:45 am, and one from 7-10 pm. Third, I underestimated the willingness of students to tell me how they are doing and what they would like to have changed in the class. I used to do it, so why wouldn't they? Fourth, I was a first semester prof at a unique school. As much as I loved being there, the school has different expectations that are higher than state schools and bordering on graduate school. How could I have known? Fifth, there were a variety of odd situations that simply created a disaster. I taught intro an intro class full of juniors and seniors and they nailed me for not being challenging enough. (The same class full of freshmen and sophomores gave me reasonable evals.) I taught a methods class to people who were graduating the same semester. (They should have taken it as juniors.) And in summary, it was my first time. It can only get better, right?

Do you have any suggestions / stories about what makes a great professor? What did you like the best? What does not work? Help me out. Please.

[I just took a short break to read comments about teachers I know well on ratemyprofessors.com Now I feel a little better. CSUF will not be the same as L&C, but still please leave some advice]

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I've always found it mildly amusing bordering on slightly disturbing that to teach college you just have to get a PhD. I had class after class after class learning how to teach in order to get a secondary education teaching certificate along with my Bachelor's, but they let B (aka the man your husband is worried about) be a TA last semester (and next) with no teaching training at all other than he's been a student. Crazy.

Rachel Clare said...

No advice on how to teach, but I do think you're sexy. And that counts for something, right?

Brandon T. Minster said...

I got my first set of evaluations back last week. I was nervous about them. I wanted all the positive comments to say, "He was the best teacher ever!" and all the negative comments to say, "His sexiness was too distracting." It didn't quite work out that way. One of them took issue with the fact that they requested an exam review sheet, I tried to talk them out of it, they insisted, so I made it and when I sent it to them I signed the e-mail, "Caring so much it hurts." Evidently you shouldn't do that. It makes you seem like you don't really care. Also, don't tell them that, if they're failing a pre-requisite class for their major, maybe they should reevaluate their planned major. They hate that, too. (Although my professor said we were doing a service for marginal students by failing them so they'd drop out of college, where they didn't belong. But he has tenure, so he can say crap like that.)

Mofra said...

So...my very most favorite of all time professors...let's call him Prof. R. was incredibly challenging. He told the truth, how difficult his classes would be, and then did everything in his power - short of faking grades, and taking the tests for me - to help me succeed. I never wanted an A more than when I took a Prof. R. class. He offered stories that were real, personal and often personally revealing. He offered assistance, more than just office hours - but friendship. He would often say "Just drop by anytime and we'll share a Diet Dr. Pepper". The Dr. Pepper's became private cheerleader sessions for my faltering self-confidence. And then he would cheer louder than anyone when I got a hard earned A. I've never been so pleased with my hard work.
He has polar opposites on ratemyprofessor.com as comments. You either love him or hate him. But I am hear to tell you that there is nothing, NOTHING more attractive and sexy than a smart man!
When you move to California, I will take you to meet him. He is always up for a Diet Dr. Pepper and students who morphed into friends.
BTW he's only been teaching for, like, 20 years or something.

Lindsey said...

What is this, solicited advice?! I'm only used to giving UNsolicited advice!

I loved the professors that kept consistent office hours and openly welcomed feedback from the first day. I appreciated the ones who actually took teaching methods classes instead of just being really knowledgeable about their subjects but incredibly boring instructors.

As a middle school teacher, I would say to let it go! Kids get so opinionated and they don't really understand all your hard work that goes into it. For every student that had a so-so experience, you have at least one that you really impacted, and that's all you need.