Monday, April 7, 2008
Catholic and Mormon Snobs
I was surprised to read that excessive reproduction could be interpreted as snobbery in the big city. I always thought that only having one or two was elitist, and thus the active Mormons and Catholics were the lower class. I never imagined that you could work your way up the social ladder so easily.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree that having a gaggle of kids is usually seen as white trash. Imagine the flock of mullets following the fat-lady scooter down the aisle at Wal-Mart. And when I think of calling out a list of kids' names, I think of Cletus Spuckler and his kids: "Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumer, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Chloe, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sasha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Cubert, and Phil," not to mention Condoleezza Marie, Rubella Scabies, Gummy Sue, Carl Durant, Birthday, Crystal Meth, Dubya, Incest, International Harvester, Jitney, Witney, and Kevin, according to wikipedia.
I have to disagree in part. I think it's the economic status that determines "white trash," not necessarily how many kids there are. If you see a family of well-dressed kids, all driving their own luxury car, it doesn't matter if there's 8 or 2 of them, you'll see them as elitist. Besides, I've known too many Mormons and Catholics to believe they're doing it to be snobby; having lots of kids is their culture.
Post a Comment