Sunday, January 16, 2011

S.A.D in effect - high school style

With my wife's acquisition of a puppy, a couple of weeks of rainy weather, and an overwhelming amount of work that I'm not finishing, I have fallen into a funk. Luckily, I am teaching an undergrad class that permits me a little instant gratification. If it weren't for that class, I would really be down.

When I was in high school (Ohio), I began to recognize a seasonality in my attitude, as reflected through my music tastes. The spring was full of light or happy music, the summer turned to classic rock, the fall was a mixed bag of a 'heavier' music, but by the time that winter came, I was driving full-speed into bass-laden, hard-driving, almost hateful music - the louder the better. Before I know about SAD, I knew that one reason my music library was so diverse was simply due to the change of season. If I was aware that my choice of music, my state of mind, and the seasons were all intertwined. Now this may be obvious to everyone, but to me it is was an important revelation.

So, about two weeks ago, I recognized that I was cracking open some of my old high school music. Some of which I haven't listen to for more than a decade. While it is fun to get some of my emotion out through loud music, it probably isn't the best 'tool' to use.

Normally, I wouldn't have this attitude, but I'm ready to be done with this winter.

1 comment:

Dan Haring said...

I was about to ask what type of music you were listening to, but then I saw the hint in the second-to-last sentence. Oh Maynard. Let me know if you need any more dark and hard music. Might have some suggestions for you there. In the meantime, hope you can make it out of the funk soon.